Everything Else

July Running Recap

August 4, 2014

By the end of June I had decided that my running break was over. It was time to get back to running. I know its been hot and wet here in Florida, but honestly my shorts began to feel a little bit snug. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t think I’m fat. In fact, I don’t even own a scale. I’ve always gone by the way my clothes fit so I knew it was time to get back to running. I mean, I hadn’t gone for a run since June 4th and before that it was May 7th. And according to my trusted Nike+ app, it appears I only ran twice in April. Yikes!

running recap

Although it’s been extremely hot and wet this July, I’m happy to say that I was able to run 32.96 miles during this month as well as bike 38.44 miles! For the running, I attempted to run two to three times a week. For the biking portion, I attempted to ride my bike on Saturdays instead of driving. It just made sense to ride my bike as part of cross training instead of driving to the gym to go to a spinning class. Here’s a blog post I wrote about it.  When you are short in time, you have to get creative!

But all this running it’s not just for my waistline.  I’ve decided to run the Red Ribbon half marathon in Lakeland.  The race is almost in my backyard.  Lakeland is less than 30 minutes away, so I won’t have to get up at midnight to get there on time.  I kid.  I kid.  Still, it’s really close to home and I just love training in the summer.  Wait, did I just say that.  Well, really.  As much as I like running in cooler weather, it’s just so much harder to run in January or February for me.  I figured as long as I run before the sun comes up or after dinner time, which in our house is somewhere between 7-8 pm, then I can deal with the heat of summer.

Are you training for any Fall races?

• Reply jan August 4, 2014 at 1:11 pm

I think you Florida runners are the toughest breed of all. I can’t imagine doing it in the heat! I freak out here any time it gets about 85. Glad you’re getting back to running! 🙂

p.s. I used to weigh myself daily but since I quit I’m much happier overall.
    jan recently posted…Basic Ab Exercises for People Who Use their Back Instead of Their AbsMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks August 5, 2014 at 1:50 am

Thanks! I find that as long as I go running at 5 am or right before sunset, the heat is bearable. 😉

• Reply Amanda H August 5, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Wow great job getting back to running in all that heat and humidity! Super impressive 🙂
    Amanda H recently posted…Meal Prep Monday – Vegan Apple Pie Oatmeal and ChickpeasMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks August 6, 2014 at 1:15 am

Thank you! It’s tough, but I don’t like it when my clothes start feeling tight.

• Reply Sharon | What The Fork Food Blog August 8, 2014 at 10:48 am

Great job! I need to get back into running. It’s been a long, long time…
    Sharon | What The Fork Food Blog recently posted…Peach Pie Overnight OatsMy Profile

• Reply Sarah August 12, 2014 at 2:55 pm

I keep meaning to get back into running as I love it, good for you for doing esp being in such heat and good luck with the marathon 🙂
    Sarah recently posted…Baked Onions with Grilled SalmonMy Profile

• Reply MCM Mama August 13, 2014 at 4:10 am

I could never survive in Florida. I have a hard enough time running in the summer in Virginia.

Thanks for linking up – next week’s topic for Tuesdays on the Run is “fueling” and we’d love it if you linked back to us!
    MCM Mama recently posted…Running Mantra: Suck it up, Buttercup!My Profile

• Reply Danny T September 11, 2014 at 7:23 pm

I know all about the summer break of running in FL! Just moved to Rhode Island from Orlando about a month ago and the running here is fabulous even on the “summer”. I did most of my running in FL from Oct-May. Ran my first Half at Lake Minneola in April this year. I see it being much easier here to train for long distances because of the lack of heat and humidity. People up here complain when it’s in the 80’s, but they have no idea what we go through in FL to keep our mileage up! Great job and keep it up!

• Reply xiomeeks September 12, 2014 at 12:27 pm

You are so right, any running in Florida after May has to be on a treadmill! And yuck. I can’t do it. Good luck in Rhode Island!