Running

How far is too far to walk?

October 27, 2014

About a year ago, the glass lid to our crock pot broke while on the bottom tray of the dishwasher. The heating cycle got so hot that it shattered the glass everywhere. Ever since that day, our dishwasher was never the same. Note to self, don’t put the lid of the crock pot in the dishwasher. We had someone come in and take a look at it. He removed some of the remaining broken glass pieces and we thought were good as new. Until last week when our dishwasher broke.

walking

Nearly half of all trips in metropolitan areas are three miles or less and 28 percent are one mile or less – distances easily covered by foot or bicycle. Yet 65 percent of trips under one mile are made by automobile.

As the picture shows, how far is too far to walk? Only you can answer that. I work in downtown Bartow.  There’s a Lowe’s right around the corner from our building. Since I’m shopping for a new dishwasher I thought about walking there in my lunch hour.  I often walk to pick up lunch from the nearby restaurants without a second thought. I’ve even walked to Publix which is next to Lowe’s. According to my iPhone, Lowe’s is 0.8 miles from my office. Somehow walking to Lowe’s just seemed so far. But it wasn’t. Sure, I could have driven there in about five minutes each way. Or I could have walked there for about 12 minutes. Being that Florida is finally enjoying beautiful fall weather I didn’t mind those extra minutes.

Research shows you get the same health benefits from walking as running.

As I get older I’ve come to realize I don’t really enjoy driving as much I thought.  I’ve started asking myself before going anywhere the following question: Can I make it there by walking or biking?  Now if you don’t live or work in a “city” environment, I get that. But if there are sidewalks around you, why not take advantage of it? Instead of driving to the gym and getting on that treadmill, why not start walking at lunch? Think of all the time you’ll save. If you are trying to fit fitness into your life, and you have an hour lunch, taking a 20 minute or even a 30 minute walk is a perfect way to fit fitness in your life!

• Reply Melissa Faye Blog October 29, 2014 at 7:15 am

I agree about walking to lunch! I try and do that a few times a week. I don’t think it’s even half a mile, but its better than sitting all day and then sitting in the car to go somewhere. Great post!
    Melissa Faye Blog recently posted…GETTING THE MOST OUT OF PRE-MARITAL COUNSELINGMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:53 am

And just think of how much more refreshed you feel after going for a walk outside!

• Reply CARLA BE A WALKER October 29, 2014 at 7:39 am

here?
    NOTHING!!! 🙂
    CARLA BE A WALKER recently posted…Must we put others down to feel better about ourselves?My Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:52 am

How lucky! 🙂

• Reply Skye October 29, 2014 at 7:45 am

Now that our kiddo is older and can walk farther, we definitely need to get back to walking more. Our neighborhood isn’t particularly well organized for walking to useful things but there are some options.

• Reply Natalie October 29, 2014 at 8:00 am

I love the walking aspects of a city–when I lived in London, I only ever walked or used public transportation and I never, ever missed having a car. Now, we live in the suburbs, and while my current town has made an effort to put in sidewalks and such, it’s just not very walkable since everything is spread apart and to get to the stuff on the other side of the highway that runs through town, you’ve got to cross 6 lanes of traffic (who aren’t watching out for pedestrians, since they’re rare). Sigh. I wish it were different–I would walk everywhere!
    Natalie recently posted…Our Bags (and Our Suitcases and a Million Boxes) are Packed, and We’re (Sort of) Ready to GoMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:51 am

You are absolutely right about crossing those 6 lanes intersections. They truly separate and create a very hazardous situation for pedestrians.

• Reply Alli October 29, 2014 at 8:11 am

I live in the country, but if I lived in the city I would walk everywhere! I do like to take long country walks!

My dishwasher died about a month ago. It stopped draining and I had to purchase another one. The old one was supposed to be quiet, but my new one is so quiet I have to listen closely to make sure it’s on. I didn’t know that the lid to a slow cooker could explode in the dishwasher. Oops. I need to remember that.
    Alli recently posted…5 Ways to Lose Friends and Alienate FamilyMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:50 am

Yeah, ours wasn’t very old so it was really quiet too. I’ve had to walk by it to double check that it was still on! Amazing.

• Reply Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama October 29, 2014 at 8:57 am

walkable cities are the best. When we visit mom in St. Louis, we walk EVERYWHERE. Here in Atlanta, the metro is so spread, we have to drive in.
    Lindsey @ Redhead Baby Mama recently posted…Caribbean Cocktails – Beachy Mixology for Summer AnytimeMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:49 am

I’ve read great things are coming to Atlanta. There’s a real push for walkable cities right now all over the US.

• Reply Shirley Wood October 29, 2014 at 10:25 am

The recent growth boom of downtown living has me pondering how wonderful it must be to live close enough to everything so you can walk. We live very rural so there isn’t a safe place for walking. We take walks on our property though and this time of year is our favorite time to do it! Now I feel inspired to go outside and walk right now!
    Shirley Wood recently posted…Home Matters Linky Party #12My Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:48 am

That’s wonderful that you have the ability to go for walks on your property. My kids would love that.

• Reply Run DMT October 29, 2014 at 11:02 am

Really great tips! It’s hard for runners to think “walking” is suffice when trying to fit in fitness.

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:47 am

Thank you!

• Reply Lora October 29, 2014 at 11:24 am

I love walking! I try to walk everywhere humanly possible. It’s what I miss the most (okay just one of the many things) about living in NYC…the ability to walk so much!
    Lora recently posted…3 ways to get groundedMy Profile

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:46 am

Right? NYC is definitively a walkable city.

• Reply Mikki October 29, 2014 at 2:56 pm

What a great post!
    I live in a small college town and have quite a few things within walking distance for me too.
    I would LOVE to walk more.. have a little grocery cart thingy on wheels and walk to get groceries, but I don’t… not sure why. Living in FL allows for some really great days for walking..
    Ok. I seem to talking myself into walking more.. lol..
    Thanks for the inspiration. 🙂

• Reply xiomeeks October 30, 2014 at 5:46 am

Thank you and you are welcome! Let me know how it goes.

• Reply Steph October 30, 2014 at 8:26 am

It’s funny. In FL, any distance seems too far to walk, so we drive EVERYWHERE. But when we visit big cities like DC or Philly, our opinions change to “oh, the Liberty Bell is only 1.2 miles from here, just a 20 minute walk!” and we’re ready to go; no questions asked.
    Steph recently posted…Paleo caramel applesMy Profile